This dynamic one-year course allows you to develop strong technical bass skills, musical literacy and performance creativity in a short space of time, with the view to becoming a well-rounded professional portfolio musician. A highly tailored programme, you’ll focus intensely on the bass, while collaborating with peers who are studying guitar, drums, keyboards and vocals.
In a rapidly evolving and increasingly digital global music scene, there are more opportunities than ever before for performers and audiences to come together in innovative new ways. In addition to technical and creative abilities, this highly current performance CertHE allows you to build entrepreneurial business skills and digital proficiency that will set you up as a flexible and competent bass player and musician.
At the core of your CertHE is a focus on your principal instrument – bass – yet you’ll expand your musical literacy by studying with and playing alongside fellow CertHE guitar, keyboard, drum and vocal musicians. You’ll have regular opportunities to collaborate with these CertHE peers, as well as students across all other ICMP programmes.
Exploring a range of popular music repertoire, styles and genres, you’ll gain a firm understanding of theory, technique and technology for live, recorded and live-streamed performance scenarios. You’ll also cover topics including live performance skills, stylistic techniques, music theory, music technology and music business.
In addition to seminars and lectures, you’ll participate in regular skill sessions – both one-to-one with your ICMP bass tutor, and during collaborative workshops and ensemble practice with peers. A key focus at ICMP is collaboration and ‘A&R-style’ peer feedback, so you’ll frequently give and receive performance critiques to help you develop your unique identity as a bassist.
Across your year of learning, you’ll be taught in ICMP’s high-tech industry-standard facilities and guided by our expert tutors, who are all highly experienced music industry professionals, providing you with a deep understanding of the modern music industry. They’ll also arrange for you to attend regular industry events, networking opportunities, performances at London venues, and masterclasses hosted by special guest artists.
Upon completing the CertHE, you’ll have gained exceptional bass technical skills, combined with strong live, recorded and online performance know-how, allowing you to work successfully across multiple areas of today’s music business. If you’d prefer to continue with your studies, the programme offers a direct pathway to the second year of the BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance and BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship degrees, where you can further establish your career as a professional bass player and portfolio musician.
Fees & Funding
Successful completion of the CertHE Popular Music Performance (Bass) course leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance.
Following the granting of Degree Awarding Powers, our programmes are going through a rigorous quality approval process to transfer responsibility for the award to ICMP. Applicants registering onto a programme from September 2022, on successful completion, will receive their award from ICMP.
- Course Code: 316B
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- An innovative one-year foundation course that recognises the evolving global music scene and promotes recorded, live and digital performance scenarios.
- Receive personalised learning via regular one-on-one sessions with expert ICMP bass tutors.
- Develop advanced bass technical skills and music theory knowledge through practice-as-research learning.
- Explore your unique identity as a bass player through weekly activities that encourage solo and collaborative work.
- Progress your musicianship across varied popular music genres and styles.
- Study alongside other instrumentalists whom you will collaborate with throughout the duration of the course.
- Produce an exceptional portfolio of recordings and performance work on the bass to use in your future career and promote yourself to the wider industry.
- Study the modern music business and learn entrepreneurial skills to enhance your portfolio career opportunities.
- Build a comprehensive musical network and perform at numerous London music venues.
- Progress to the second year of an ICMP undergraduate degree on successful course completion.
- Apply Now