At ICMP, we want you to live your academic life to the full and take full advantage of the opportunities that open up to you whilst studying music with us. We have invested in our Student Services to provide you with the very best learning support during your time as a music student with us. 

Our Disability and Wellbeing team are in place to help you access the essential support required to maximise your potential during your studies.  We know that studying can be tough, likewise moving away from home for the first time. Life also has a habit of throwing obstacles in our way when we least expect them. This is why our team are in place, they are there to help support you through the problems you may encounter whilst studying with us and also to ensure that those with specific support needs access the appropriate support.

What the team offers

The ICMP Disability and Wellbeing team provide a range of services to students, these include:

  • Carrying out Dyslexia Screening
  • Signposting SPLD Diagnostic Assessment at reduced rates
  • Facilitating applications for Disabled Students Allowance
  • Facilitating disability support within ICMP
  • Providing signposting to specialist services not provided at ICMP
  • Providing information on maintaining wellbeing as a music student

We treat student wellbeing as a priority and acknowledge the challenges presented by life as a music student. Our Wellbeing Team reinforces the commitment of all ICMP teams to good mental and physical health and happiness. We can support students to locate the appropriate organisations and professionals able to offer direct support.

Alongside supporting students with specific needs, our team also host a variety of 'Wellbeing' events throughout the year aimed at boosting our student's health, confidence and general wellbeing. Please see below for further detail around the types of support on offer at ICMP.

Let us answer your questions...

If you have questions around specific support needs, or student life in general at ICMP, please don't hesitate to contact our Admissions Team who will be happy to help. The team can be reached on 020 7328 0222 or via email at

How we support students

Disability Advisers

Mental Health Advisers

Info for Parents and Guardians

Top tips for Students

Wellbeing can take a variety of forms ranging from support around performance to dealing with emotional and psychological issues.  

Support is accessible via a triage system where students can either get in contact with us via email or our online student portal known as  MyICMP.

Counselling support  
If counselling support is needed, then ICMP students can access six weeks of free counselling including an initial assessment.  A waiting list is in place when demand is high

Online Mental Health Service
Students also have access to an innovative online mental health and wellbeing service offering self-help programmes, creative outlets and a community that cares.  The service is free to ICMP students and available 24/7, 365 days a year and in place so that students can even access support and guidance outside of normal office hours and weekends. 

Alexander Technique  
The Alexander Technique is a practice to release you from habits and tensions that prevent you from finding your natural state of balance and becoming the best musician you can be.  

All students can access discounted Alexander Technique lessons from our experienced teacher who specialises in working with musicians.  Find out more about Alexander Technique at ICMP

Wellbeing events  
Our Wellbeing team offers a wide range of events over the academic year to help keep students refreshed and recharged.  Previous events have included refresh and recharge, performance wellness, health week, goal setting, yoga, mindfulness and drama. 

Safeguarding is also part of the Disability and Wellbeing team’s responsibilities. Led by a Designated Safeguarding Lead, the team features representatives from various departments within ICMP and is in place to protect young people and adults at risk. 

Our dedicated Disability Advisers provide advice, guidance and support to all disabled students. They support students to apply for Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) as well as arranging access to any support resulting from needs assessments.  

The Disability Adviser’s role includes:  

  • Organising dyslexia screenings 
  • Assisting students with referrals for full diagnostic screenings  
  • Assisting and facilitating in DSA applications 
  • Assisting students to organise their 1:1 support with specialist tutors  
  • Facilitating institutional reasonable adjustments for students (eg. special arrangements for exams and other on-course support arrangements) 

Students may claim DSA in addition to student finance loans and grants to cover any extra study-related costs they incur due to an impairment, mental health condition, or learning difficulty. The amount they receive depends on their individual needs not on their income, or that of parents or partner. 

Get in touch

If you have questions around accessing support please don't hesitate to contact our Admissions Team who will be happy to help. The team can be contacted on 020 3666 0398 or via email at

The role of Mental Health Adviser is to work with students across the full spectrum of mental health difficulties ensuring they obtain appropriate treatment, support & adjustments to enable them to successfully complete their studies.

A Mental Health Adviser can help if a student:

  • ​has an existing mental health condition
  • is feeling anxious or depressed
  • is worried about their mental health
  • wants to plan how to stay well whilst studying at ICMP.​

What our Mental Health Advisers offer?

  • Advice if you or a student is concerned about the mental health of another student
  • ​Working with the Disability Advisers, looking at any practical support requirements a student may need as a result of their mental health health issues, such as extra time for exams.
  • Liaison with, or referral to other ICMP functions or external agencies, such as NHS services or third party organisations.
  • Organisation of Mental Wellbeing Campaigns and events.
  • Advice and training to teaching and support staff within ICMP.​​

Get in touch

If you have questions around accessing support please don't hesitate to contact our Admissions Team who will be happy to help. The team can be contacted on 020 7328 0222 or via email at

Confidentiality at ICMP
The staff at ICMP are unable to give any information about any student without the express permission of the student him/herself (eg. regarding applications for a place at the institute, their life after ICMP, etc) to any third party. This includes parents, spouses, siblings or employers.

All Universities in the UK follow similar guidelines
The General Data Protection Act 2018 and the Institutes own policy prohibit the disclosure of an individual’s information without their prior consent. Staff would only contact next of kin without the student’s permission if medical or other emergency personnel advise is required.

Disability & Wellbeing Team
The Disability & Wellbeing service will do everything possible to help students in difficulty, although it does not have parental responsibility and can only offer support if approached by the students themselves.

Student Wellbeing staff are always willing to talk to parents and advise on the support offered by ICMP so that they can pass the information to their son and daughters.  We are however unable to discuss individual students’ situations due to both GDPR and the Institute’s own disclosure policy.  

Keeping up to date on their Application and Academic Progress
Information about the progress of a student’s application and academic progress will only be discussed with the student concerned. If your son or daughter wishes you to discuss their progress with Institute staff, they must contact the appropriate department and give their permission. For further information about the consent to share process students should email

Preparing to study at ICMP
Every student needs to register with a GP. Find local practices by entering your term time postcode on the NHS Choices Service Search. Some GPs may only take patients living within a certain area, or may be full, so you may need to try more than one place.

Other healthcare services
There are a range of 'primary care' options available depending on what students need, including GP practices, dentists, walk-in centres, sexual health clinics and pharmacies. Visit the NHS services page to find out more. If unsure, you can call 111 for advice; it's free.

Encourage them to plan a budget in advance for their weekly food shops, phone bill, toiletries, bills, clothing, visiting home, etc.

Check out these excellent resources:

Top tips for parents

leaving home

10 top transition and wellbeing tips for new students starting Uni

It's normal to feel unsure about what to expect when starting university. It's also normal to feel nervous at times of change, which is why we've written these top 10 tips to help you steady your nerves:

  1. Prepare: Sit down with someone you trust and write a list of all your worries and concerns, so that you can start to address them together.
  2. Create an action plan: Put all your worries or concerns into different categories, such as making friends, your studies, budgeting, living away from home and make an action plan for each one, containing solutions for each worry.
  3. Organise your medical care: If you need support for any health condition or disability, plan how you can get the care and support you need. A good starting point is to search your university's website for 'student support' to look for information about available services.
  4. Register with a new GP: Check out your university's website to see if they have a surgery on campus or whether they recommend a particular GP practice. Phone the new GP practice and see if they have anyone who specialises in student health. If you have mental or physical health issues, make the call yourself if you can. If you find it hard, ask your next of kin to call and sit next to them so you can listen and join in if needed.
  5. Medication: If you take regular medicines or need medical devices or equipment, plan what you need and get an appropriate supply of prescriptions in advance (to be agreed with your GP) so you don't run out!
  6. Contact Student Support: If you have ongoing mental health issues, get in touch with Student Support before you go to Uni. They're there to support you and will do what they can to help. Phone or email them for advice and don't be shy in asking for help if you need it.
  7. Sort out ongoing care: If you're under specialist care for conditions like asthma, diabetes or a mental health problem, register with a new GP as soon as possible so that you can discuss ongoing care and possible referral to local services.
  8. Get comfortable: Take a few things with you that remind you of home, like a dressing gown or your usual duvet and bedsheets instead of buying new ones. You could also make a playlist of your favourite songs and photos of family and friends for times when you need a boost.
  9. Look after your wellbeing: Make a 'Personal Wellbeing Plan' of 5 things you can do every day and to help build your wellbeing. Include things in your plan like sleep, exercise, activities that you enjoy, something relaxing, socialising with friends, small treats, Uni clubs, support from home, and so on.
  10. Make a Safety Plan: Sit down with someone you trust and make a plan of things you can do for yourself. Write down how you can get in touch with people you can ask for support if you ever feel low, get stressed or you are struggling. Check out the leaflet 'Feeling Overwhelmed and Staying Safe' for ideas.

    If you're worried or stressed after reading our tips please talk to someone about how you are feeling as you may need extra support. Visit for more information.

Tips provided by Dr Alys Cole-King with input from Dr Dom Thompson, Student Health Expert and Dr Knut Schroeder.