The BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship degree is a highly flexible and interdisciplinary programme that moulds itself around you and your artistic journey, not the other way around. You’ll dive into a fascinating array of creative areas and build the foundations of your portfolio career in music, allowing you to pursue multiple career paths simultaneously and develop a wide range of transferable skills.
Musically inspired creatives of all kinds are welcome to join our Creative Musicianship programme, including artists, producers, songwriters, and performers who play any instrument. Our team of expert tutor-mentors will empower you to choose your own path, discover and nurture your creative identity, and broaden your horizons in line with your own interests.
No matter your goal as a creative musician, this degree will equip you with all the tools you need to succeed. You’ll learn how to connect technique and music theory, develop and refine your creative process, analyse and reimagine conventional music genres, and write and play live with groups of your peers. Along the way, you’ll gradually create an industry-standard portfolio of your own original music, acquiring all the songwriting, composition, and arrangement chops it takes to make it happen.
Throughout the Creative Musicianship programme, we’ll encourage you to question established ideas and articulate your own decisions and discoveries. Our team also curates an exclusive Creative Musicianship events programme, featuring guest lectures and masterclasses from renowned musicians, artists, and industry insiders, who all actively work on the cutting edge of music.
Music technology also plays a central role in this course, from the inner workings of the recording studio to the lighting and video rigs found in performance venues across the world. You’ll sharpen your skills using the latest gadgets and gear – and as this course moulds itself around you, you’ll be actively encouraged to experiment with every piece of tech you come across. You’ll find innovative ways to turn your visions into reality, both in the studio and onstage.
Across the whole Creative Musicianship degree, you’ll plug into equipment provided by the likes of Apple, Boss, Shure, Korg, Yamaha, Orange, Ableton, Audient and Zildjian. Our Tech Hub will give you access to over 1,000 pieces of gear, all kept up to date and in line with professional industry standards.
Every creative musician is also an entrepreneur – and with this in mind, our select team of successful industry specialists will show you exactly how the music business works. We’ll break down all the key concepts, and explain how they fit together. You’ll cover recorded and live music, publishing, marketing strategies, and everything you need to know about building your own unique and thriving business.
By the time you graduate from ICMP, you’ll be able to confidently forge a successful and durable music career that perfectly fits your creative identity. To determine the course of your own evolution, click the “Apply Now” button below.
Fees & Funding
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans, students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP degrees, unlike other UK music schools where students are required to pay additional top-up fees themselves.
Successful completion of the BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship course at ICMP London leads to the award of Bachelor of Arts by the University of East London.
Redesigned for 2021
Please note, this page contains a description of the course as currently delivered, and aspects will change before the start of the 2021 academic year. The course has recently gone through a redesign process with our validating partner UEL. Please visit https://www.icmp.ac.uk/study-at-icmp/2021-course-redesign for further detail on why we periodically redesign our courses and the benefits this has to you as an ICMP student. The information on this page will be updated in due course to reflect the changes that have occurred, all students and applicants will be notified of these changes.
The Creative Musicianship course sums up all I have wished for. Creativity, diversity, production, marketing - all the tools I need to start my career in the music industry."
BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship
- Course Code: W3C5
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- This course moulds itself around you, not the other way around
- Empowers you to build the foundations of a durable and flexible portfolio career that fits you perfectly
- Develop your creative identity
- Open to all musical creatives, including artists, producers, songwriters, and performers who play any instrument
- Comprehensive curriculum that encompasses creative work, performance, production, business and entrepreneurship
- Personalised, self-directed and progressive degree, rooted in academic rigour
- Tailored to reflect the modern music and wider creative industries
- Collaborate, create, and perform with your peers
- Exclusive events programme, including guest lectures and masterclasses
- Central London campus puts the core of the British music industry on your doorstep
- Grow your own unique network of contacts, collaborators, and friends across the London music scene
- Taught by a select and successful team of expert tutor-mentors in a creative and inspiring learning environment
- Experiment with state-of-the-art equipment and the latest upgrades
- Optimal class sizes guarantee a high number of teaching contact hours
- Career support never stops, even after you graduate
- Apply Now