The BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship degree is a highly flexible and interdisciplinary programme that moulds itself around you and your artistic journey, not the other way around. You’ll dive into a fascinating array of creative areas and build the foundations of your professional portfolio career in music, allowing you to pursue multiple career paths simultaneously and develop a wide range of transferable skills. We'll encourage you to explore your artistic identity freely – investigating new creative avenues and never discounting left-of-field ideas.
Musically inspired creatives of all kinds are welcome to join our Creative Musicianship programme, including artists, producers, songwriters, and performers who play any instrument. Our team of expert tutor-mentors will empower you to choose your own path, discover and nurture your creative identity, and broaden your horizons in line with your own interests.
No matter what your goal is as a creative musician, this degree will equip you with all the tools you need to succeed. Within ICMP's truly collaborative environment, you'll learn how to connect technique and music theory, develop and refine your creative process, analyse and reimagine conventional music genres, and write and play live with groups of your peers. Along the way, you’ll gradually create an industry-standard portfolio of your own original music, acquiring all the songwriting, composition, and arrangement chops it takes to make it happen.
Our supporting industry partners are:
Alongside generously sponsoring courses, rooms and providing equipment, our industry partners also offer ICMP songwriting degree students access to exclusive discounts, events and opportunities.
Throughout the Creative Musicianship programme, we’ll encourage you to question established ideas and articulate your own decisions and discoveries, including delving into genres you may not have previously explored. Our team also curates an exclusive Creative Musicianship events programme, featuring guest lectures and masterclasses from renowned musicians, artists, and industry insiders, who all actively work on the cutting edge of music.
Music technology also plays a central role in this course, from the inner workings of the recording studio to the lighting and video rigs found in performance venues across the world. You’ll sharpen your skills using the latest gadgets and gear – and as this course moulds itself around you, you’ll be actively encouraged to experiment with every piece of tech you come across. You’ll find innovative and creative ways to turn your visions into reality, both in the studio and on stage.
Across the whole Creative Musicianship degree, you’ll plug into equipment provided by the likes of Apple, Boss, Shure, Korg, Yamaha, Orange, Ableton, Audient and Zildjian. Our Tech Hub will give you access to over 1,000 pieces of gear, all kept up to date and in line with professional industry standards.
Every creative musician is also an entrepreneur – and with this in mind, our select team of successful industry specialists will show you exactly how the music business works. We’ll break down all the key concepts, and explain how they fit together. You’ll cover recorded and live music, publishing, marketing strategies, and everything you need to know about building your own unique and thriving business.
By the time you graduate from ICMP, you’ll be able to confidently forge a successful and durable music career that perfectly fits your creative identity and evolution as an artist. To determine the course of your own evolution, click the “Apply Now” button below.
If you're unsure if this programme is the correct fit for you, we've put together some additional information here.
Fees & Funding
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans, students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP degrees, unlike other UK music schools where students are required to pay additional top-up fees themselves.
Click to view the full terms and conditions of applying to study at ICMP.
Successful completion of the BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship course leads to the award of Bachelor of Arts degree by The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance.
The Creative Musicianship course sums up all I have wished for. Creativity, diversity, production, marketing - all the tools I need to start my career in the music industry."
BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship
"We previously had a student join us as a metal guitarist and following continual creative exploration, they ended up leaving us as an EDM artist – breaking into the top 20 of the US Billboard Dance chart within a year of graduating.”
- Course Code: W3C5
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- Develop your creative identity as an artist in a safe and encouraging environment.
- This course moulds itself around you, not the other way around.
- Empowers you to build the foundations of a durable and flexible portfolio career that fits you perfectly.
- Open to all musical creatives, including artists, producers, songwriters, and performers who play any instrument.
- Collaborate, create and perform with your creative peers.
- Comprehensive curriculum that encompasses creative work, performance, production, business and entrepreneurship.
- Personalised, self-directed and progressive degree, rooted in academic rigour.
- Tailored to reflect the modern music and wider creative industries.
- Exclusive events programme, including guest lectures and masterclasses.
- Central London campus puts the core of the British music industry on your doorstep.
- Grow your own unique network of contacts, collaborators, and friends across the London music scene
- Taught by a select and successful team of expert tutor-mentors in a creative and inspiring learning environment.
- Experiment with state-of-the-art equipment and the latest upgrades to fuel your creativity.
- Optimal class sizes guarantee a high number of teaching contact hours.
- Career support never stops, even after you graduate.
- Additional Information: Creative Musicianship: Student Attributes
- Apply Now