This fun and exciting one-year course lets you build strong foundations in technical keyboard skills, musical literacy and performance creativity quickly, as you strive to become a well-rounded professional portfolio musician. A hands-on and highly personalised course, your focus will be on the keyboards, as you collaborate with your fellow students studying guitar, bass, vocals and drums.
In a quick-moving and increasingly digital international music scene, there are more opportunities than ever for audiences and performers to join together in innovative new ways. As well as improving your technical and creative abilities, this highly relevant performance CertHE will see you building your digital expertise and entrepreneurial business skills as you launch yourself as a confident and competent keyboardist and musician.
At the centre of your CertHE is proficiency on your principal instrument – keyboards – but you’ll broaden your musical literacy by playing alongside and studying with guitarists, bass players, drummers and vocalists.
There are also many opportunities to work and perform with students across all other ICMP programmes.
As you explore popular music repertoire, genres and styles, you’ll gain an impressive understanding of technique, theory and technology for live, recorded and live-streamed performance events. You’ll also consider areas such as stylistic techniques, live performance skills, music technology and the music business.
On top of lectures and seminars, you’ll regularly take part in skills sessions – both one-on-one with your ICMP keyboard tutor, and during ensemble practice and collaborative workshops with peers. A core focus at ICMP is teamwork and ‘A&R-style’ peer-to-peer feedback, so you’ll often give and receive performance critiques and use these to develop your individual personality as a keyboard player.
Across your year with us, you’ll learn in ICMP’s well-equipped industry-standard facilities as you’re guided and supported by our expert tutors – all abundantly qualified professional musicians and educators. They’re ready to provide you with detailed insight into the modern music industry and how it operates. They’ll also organise for you to take part in regular music business events, performances at London venues, masterclasses featuring special guest artists and networking opportunities.
At the end of your CertHE studies, you’ll graduate with exceptional technical keyboard skills and substantial live, recorded and remote performance experience, so you’ll be ready to forge a successful career across many areas of the music business. If you’d rather continue with your learning, the course offers a direct path to the second year of the BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance and BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship undergraduate degrees, where you can further develop your skills for a career as a portfolio musician and professional keyboardist.
Fees & Funding
Successful completion of the CertHE Popular Music Performance (Keyboard) course at ICMP leads to the award of CertHE by the University of East London.
- Course Code: 316K
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- A wide-ranging one-year course that embraces the evolving global music scene and encourages live, recorded and virtual performance scenarios.
- Experience tailored learning with regular one-to-one sessions with expert ICMP keyboard tutors.
- Gain innovative music theory knowledge and technical keyboard skills across our practice-as-research approach.
- Explore your unique identity as a keyboard player through projects that encourage both solo and collaborative work.
- Understand the demands of the modern keyboard player and the necessary blend of technical skills coupled with arrangement and programming skills.
- Advance your musicianship through a study of diverse popular music genres and styles.
- Study alongside other instrumentalists whom you will collaborate with throughout the duration of the course.
- Develop a unique portfolio of performance work and recordings to showcase in your future career.
- Explore the contemporary music industry and gain entrepreneurial skills to enhance your portfolio career.
- Develop an extensive musical network as you perform at a selection of music venues across London.
- Move directly to the second year of an ICMP undergraduate degree upon successful course completion.
- Apply Now