The ICMP BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance degree is for students who aspire to reach a very high level of musicianship, while building a successful portfolio career as a musician in today’s modern and diverse music industry.
A dynamic, challenging and relevant music programme, this course will provide you with the playing, performing, technical and theoretical skills necessary to prepare you for the real world of the career musician. The study of established genres, styles and repertoire sits at the core of the BMus music degree, and you’ll develop a wide and comprehensive understanding of genre conventions through study of your principal instrument, aimed at enabling you to succeed in a wide range of performance and music-making contexts.
The course covers a variety of learning activities in subject areas such as music theory, music technology, music production, aural perception, technique and sight reading. While you’ll be challenged to achieve outstanding technical skills on your primary instrument, you’ll also be encouraged to explore a secondary instrument, which may include choir or choral direction, all with the aim of guiding you towards becoming a well-rounded, technically accomplished musician. Unique opportunities will also be available within the ICMP London community to lead choirs, bands, ensembles and musical theatre groups in the role of musical director.
Over the three years of the music performance degree, you’ll receive tuition from our impressive teaching faculty, made up of highly esteemed musicians, all of whom have active careers in the music industry and higher education sector. Learning will be achieved in small groups, where collaboration is encouraged to enable a melting pot of ideas, experiences and influences to be explored. Via live performance workshops, you’ll develop a strong comradery with your fellow BMus classmates, and will also be inspired to network and create projects with students from other ICMP programmes. Your performance and technical talents will improve quickly following regular weekly ‘A&Rstyle’ peer and tutor feedback sessions.
Your tutors will also provide you with a working knowledge of the way the music industry operates, thanks to regular masterclasses, industry events, visits by special guest musicians, and ICMP’s connection with London’s Tileyard Studios – our exclusive industry partner and home to the UK’s largest professional music community.
By the time you graduate with ICMP Music School, you’ll be fluent in the language of popular music, capable of working in creative and collaborative music business environments, ready to explore exciting industry pathways to begin your professional career, and will have an impressive and professional portfolio of work to present to the industry.
Fees & Funding
Taking a music degree course at ICMP Music College in London makes financial sense too, with the fees for ICMP music degrees significantly less than those at many traditional universities, and, also lower than other UK music education providers - making studying music at ICMP in London great value as well as great fun.
2019/20 Course Fees: £7,500 (UK & EU Students) | £9,700 (Non-EU Students)
Students accessing Tuition Fee Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP degrees, this is due to our successful registration with the Office for Students (OfS) – the new regulator for all FE and HE providers in the UK. Please visit our Fees & Finance page for information on accessing to Student Loans.
EU Students, applying to start their course in 2019 and 2020, will continue to be eligible for both home fee status and have access to student finance. This entitlement will remain in place for the duration of the course. Read more
Successful completion of the BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance at ICMP Music College leads to the award of Bachelor of Music by the University of East London.
- Course Code: W315
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- A personalised learning experience which equips you with the knowledge, understanding and skills for successful employment in the music industry as a professional and versatile musician.
- Enables the development of high-level instrumental skill and music literacy.
- Enhances your musicianship across a diverse range of styles and scenarios.
- Develops your unique identity as a musician through structured weekly individual and collaborative performance activities.
- Allows for the development of an impressive portfolio of work, including a press pack and/or showreel to present to the industry upon graduation.
- The London location provides opportunities to perform in gigs at top London venues, while immersing yourself in the global music scene.
- High-quality teaching by music industry practitioners in a creative and inspiring learning environment.
- Connection with Tileyard Studios and wider music industry enables you to build an impressive musical network.
- A high level of contact teaching hours, delivered in small groups in world-class facilities.