The ICMP BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance degree is designed for students who aspire to fulfill the highest levels of musicianship whilst building a successful portfolio career within today’s modern and diverse popular music industry.
A dynamic, challenging and relevant programme, this course will provide you with the playing, performing, technical and theoretical skills necessary to prepare you for the real world of the portfolio musician. The study of established genres, styles and repertoire sits at the core of the BMus degree, and you’ll develop a wide and comprehensive understanding of genre conventions through study of your principal instrument, aimed at enabling you to succeed in a wide range of contexts.
The course covers a variety of learning activities in subject areas such as performance, stylistic techniques, music technology, arranging and composing, sight-reading and sonic analysis. You’ll be challenged to develop outstanding technical skills on your primary instrument, as well as being encouraged to explore a secondary instrument, which includes backing vocals, keyboard skills and vocal arrangement, all with the aim of guiding you towards becoming a well-rounded, technically accomplished musician. Unique opportunities will also be available within the ICMP community to direct bands, ensembles, choirs and musical theatre groups.
Over the three years of the degree, you’ll receive tuition from our expert teaching faculty, made up of highly esteemed musicians, all of whom have active careers in the music industry and higher education sector. Learning will be achieved in small groups, where collaboration is encouraged to enable conceptual exploration of experiences, influences and ideas. Through live performance workshops you’ll develop a strong comradery with your fellow BMus students, be inspired to network and create projects with students from other ICMP programmes, and receive individual instrumental feedback.
ICMP tutors will provide you with relevant knowledge of the internal workings of the music industry through the delivery of regular masterclasses, industry events and networking opportunities, along with addresses from guest lecturers and emerging artists.
By the time you graduate with ICMP, you’ll be fluent in the language of popular music, capable of working in creative and collaborative music business environments, ready to explore exciting industry pathways to begin your professional career, and will have an impressive and professional portfolio of work to present to the industry.
UK Students - Apply via UCASIf you’d like to study with us next September, then you’ll need to start thinking about submitting your UCAS application. The deadline for degree applications is 6pm, Wednesday 15th January 2020. UCAS codes for this programme are: Course Code: W315 | Institution Code: i25
UCAS Application Information
Fees & Funding
Taking a music degree course at ICMP Music College in London makes financial sense too, with the fees for ICMP music degrees significantly less than those at many traditional universities, and, also lower than other UK music education providers - making studying music at ICMP in London great value as well as great fun.
2020/21 Course Fees: £9,250 (UK & EU Students) | £11,700 (Non-EU Students)
Students accessing Tuition Fee Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP degrees, this is due to our successful registration with the Office for Students (OfS) – the new regulator for all FE and HE providers in the UK. Please visit our Fees & Finance page for information on accessing to Student Loans.
EU Students, applying to start their course in 2020, will continue to be eligible for both home fee status and have access to student finance. This entitlement will remain in place for the duration of the course. Read more
Successful completion of the BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance at ICMP Music College leads to the award of Bachelor of Music by the University of East London.
- Course Code: W315
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- A personalised learning experience which equips you with the knowledge, understanding and skills for successful employment in the music industry as a professional and versatile musician.
- Enables the development of high-level instrumental skill and music literacy.
- Enhances your musicianship across a diverse range of styles and scenarios.
- Develops your unique identity as a musician through structured weekly individual and collaborative performance activities.
- Allows for the development of an impressive portfolio of work, including a press pack and/or showreel to present to the industry upon graduation.
- Being located in London provides opportunities to perform in gigs at top city venues, while immersing yourself in the global music scene.
- High-quality teaching by music industry practitioners in a creative and inspiring learning environment.
- Connections with the wider music industry enables you to build an impressive musical network.
- A high level of contact teaching hours, delivered in small groups in world-class facilities.