This dynamic one-year programme allows you to build strong musical literacy, advanced technical guitar skills and impressive performance creativity in a short space of time, with the plan to develop into a well-versed professional portfolio musician. A highly personalised course, your studies will be centred on the guitar, as you collaborate with fellow classmates studying drums, bass, keyboards and vocals.
In the fast-evolving and increasingly digital global music industry, there are more opportunities than ever for performers and audiences to connect with each other in pioneering new ways. As well as improving your technical and creative abilities, this highly relevant performance CertHE will see you build entrepreneurial business skills and digital proficiency to set yourself up as an adaptable, competent musician and guitarist.
At the core of your CertHE is clear concentration on your primary instrument – guitar – but you’ll also expand your musical literacy as you study with and play alongside fellow CertHE drummers, bassists, vocalists and pianists. You’ll also have ongoing opportunities to connect and perform with ICMP students across other music programmes.
As you explore the breadth and depth of popular music styles, genres and repertoire, you’ll gain a solid understanding of theory, technology and technique across recorded, live and live-streamed performance scenarios. You’ll also study areas including music theory, stylistic techniques, live performance skills, music business and music technology.
On top of lectures and seminars, you’ll take part in skill sessions – both one-to-one with your ICMP guitar tutor, and during ensemble practice and collaborative workshops with your peers. Collaboration is a central focus of ICMP programmes and you’ll often have the chance to give and receive performance critiques in an ‘A&R-style’, encouraging the development of your unique identity as a guitarist.
During your year of education, you’ll study in ICMP’s world-class facilities, as you’re guided and supported by expert tutors. Members of our teaching faculty are all highly qualified and experienced musicians, ready to provide you with key insights into the music business and a deep understanding of the way it operates. They’ll also arrange a host of industry events for you to attend, plus masterclasses hosted by special guest musicians, networking opportunities and innovative gigs at London venues.
At the end of your CertHE, you’ll have developed excellent technical guitar skills, and impressive practical knowledge of live, recorded and virtual performances, allowing you to work successfully in multiple areas of the music business. If you’d like to continue on with your learning, the CertHE offers opportunities to progress directly to the second year of the BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance and BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship degrees, where you can gain extra experience for your career as a professional guitarist and portfolio musician.
Fees & Funding
Successful completion of the CertHE Popular Music Performance (Guitar) course at ICMP leads to the award of CertHE by the University of East London.
- Course Code: 316G
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- An innovative one-year course acknowledging the fast-moving global music scene as it explores recorded, live and digital performance scenarios.
- Gain a personalised learning experience with regular one-to-one sessions from ICMP’s expert guitar tutors.
- Understand the demands and requirements of being a modern professional guitarist through engaging with a range of industry scenarios.
- Develop a strong foundation in music theory skills and modern guitar techniques necessary for the emerging professional performer.
- Explore your identity as a unique guitarist with activities and projects that support both solo and collaborative opportunities.
- Expand your musicianship and employability skills across a variety of popular music styles and genres.
- Learn entrepreneurial skills that enhance your portfolio career opportunities, as you study the modern music industry and your place in it.
- Develop an impressive portfolio of recordings and performance work to promote yourself to the wider industry.
- Study alongside other instrumentalists who you will collaborate with throughout the duration of the course.
- Perform at London music industry venues and access a comprehensive musical network.
- Advance to the second year of an ICMP undergraduate degree upon successful course completion.
- Apply Now