This vibrant and dynamic one-year course will see you develop an impressive overview of technical vocal skills, performance creativity and musical literacy in a very short space of time. A practical tailored programme, you’ll focus on your future career as a vocalist, but you’ll also work with your fellow students keen to launch careers as professional guitarists, bass players, keyboard players and drummers.
In a progressive and increasingly digital global music scene, there are more opportunities than ever for audiences and musicians to connect in innovative new ways. As well as building your technical and creative abilities, this highly current vocal performance course will see you grow your digital and entrepreneurial business skills, as you launch yourself as a competent and confident vocalist to the industry.
At the heart of your CertHE is developing your technical ability on your principal instrument - in your case, your voice – but you’ll also improve your musical literacy by playing with and studying alongside those on your course studying guitar, bass, drums and keys. You’ll also have many chances to work and perform with students from the whole spectrum of ICMP programmes.
As you explore popular music genres, styles and repertoire, you’ll develop a thorough understanding of technique, theory and technology for live, livestreamed and recorded performances. You’ll also learn about stylistic techniques, music technology, the music business, and how to pull off an effective live performance.
In addition to lectures and seminars, you’ll take part in skills sessions - both one-on-one with your ICMP vocal tutor, and with peers during collaborative workshops and ensemble practice. A central focus of education at ICMP is teamwork, as well as regular ‘A&R-style’ peer-to-peer feedback, so you’ll learn to give and receive performance critiques and use these to improve your performances.
Across your CertHE year, you’ll learn in ICMP’s state-of-the-art industry-standard facilities as you’re supported and guided by our expert tutors - all highly qualified educators and professional musicians. They’re ready to give you comprehensive insight into the modern music business and how it operates. They’ll also ensure you to participate in a host of music business events, masterclasses featuring special guest artists, networking opportunities and performances at venues across London.
At the end of your studies, you’ll graduate with exceptional technical vocal skills and essential live, recorded and virtual performance experience, so you’ll be ready to forge a successful career across whichever music business path you choose to progress. If you’d prefer to keep up with your learning, the CertHE Vocal course offers a direct path to the second year of the BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance and BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship degrees, where you can continue to advance your skills for a career as a portfolio musician and professional vocalist.
Fees & Funding
Click to view the full terms and conditions of applying to study at ICMP.
Successful completion of the CertHE Popular Music Performance (Vocals) course leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance.
Experience ICMP in-person with our
Open Day in London
Featuring information about this course, the many benefits of studying here, tour our facilities and much more.
You can also join our online event or book a personalised tour.
- Course Code: 316V
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- An all-encompassing one-year course that celebrates the evolving global music scene and encourages recorded, live and virtual performance events.
- Experience individualised learning with regular one-on-one sessions with expert ICMP vocal tutors.
- Explore your unique identity as a vocalist through solo and collaborative project work.
- Develop your vocal technique to ensure a safe and sustainable performance career.
- Understand how to excel in both a lead and ensemble environment, and the industry requirements on a modern professional vocalist.
- Develop your sight-singing skills that offer the opportunity to engage in additional professional scenarios.
- Expand your musicianship by studying an extensive selection of popular music styles and genres.
- Study alongside other instrumentalists who you will collaborate with throughout the duration of the course.
- Receive a strong overview of the modern music industry and gain entrepreneurial skills to boost your career.
- Connect with an extensive musical network and perform at key London music venues.
- Choose to progress to the second year of an ICMP undergraduate degree on successful completion of the course.
- Graduate with a full portfolio of recordings and performance work to showcase in your future career.
- Apply Now