As an international student coming to the UK to study a full-time course of more than six months, you must apply for a Student visa (under the Student Route) before coming to the UK to start your course.      


To apply through the Student Route, you’ll need to show that you have the required level of English and can support yourself financially during your studies in the UK.

You’ll also need to prove that you have an unconditional offer from an approved educational institution.  To demonstrate this, ICMP will issue you with a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) number. This is a unique number assigned to you when ICMP provides information about you and your course to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).  You will be sent a CAS statement by email, which contains this number and other information about you and your course. You should use this information to help you complete the relevant sections of your online visa application. You will need to enter your CAS number in your online visa application and UKVI will use this number to check the information held on their system about you, your course, and the documents they expect you to provide as part of your visa application.

Our Admissions Team are on hand to provide you with advice when applying for your Student Visa. They can also advise you on the documents you'll need check those documents to ensure they meet UKVI requirements, and advising you on where you can apply.

You can find additional information on Student visas here.


As part of your Student visa application, you’ll need to pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS). This is an annual fee to cover the cost of using the UK's National Health Service (NHS).

The Immigration Healthcare Surcharge is paid upfront for the duration of your visa, rather than on an annual basis, and students receive a 25% discount on the fee.

It’s important to ensure you’ve paid the correct amount of the surcharge before you submit your visa application, otherwise, it’s likely to be rejected.

Calculate your Immigration Healthcare Surcharge in advance.


European students are as welcome as ever at ICMP!  Every student will receive a warm reception and will be able to connect to the London and UK music industries, access high-quality accredited education, and discover the joys of our large, vibrant, multicultural community and city. 


ICMP offers a scholarship up to the value of £5,500 to each eligible EU, EEA or Swiss student enrolling on one of our undergraduate or postgraduate programmes, starting in September 2023. There is no application process involved, the scholarship is automatically deducted from your course fees. Please visit our Fees and Funding page for full details.


We usually require that course fees are paid in full before ICMP can sponsor your application for a Student visa. However, if you’re from a country listed under the UKVI’s ‘differentiation arrangements’ (see here for a list of countries on the Differentiation List) you have the option to pay 50% of your fee for ICMP to issue your CAS number for your visa application, and 50% before enrolment.


Students can visit the UK for up to six months to participate in short-term study without requiring a Student visa. More information can be found here: Coming to the UK as a Visitor


Over the past 30 years, ICMP has been the first choice for thousands of students moving to the UK to study music, so we have plenty of experience in supporting our international students.

Our friendly Admissions Team are on hand to help you navigate the process and can be contacted on + 44 020 8038 4720 or via

We look forward to welcoming you to ICMP London.