Prior to moving to the UK and starting your studies with ICMP there are a number of things to consider.


The UK British Council has put together lots of useful information for students moving to the UK. We recommend you read through these pages and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team.


You can choose either private rented accommodation or to live in a hall of residence. Remember that you may have to pay other bills on top of your rental costs, such as electricity, gas and water.

Please visit our accommodation page for more information and links to our accommodation guide.


If you are a national of one of these countries, you may use the e-gates at the airport to enter the UK. There is no longer a need for you to see an immigration official: Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, USA.

If you do use e-gates to enter the UK, your passport will not be stamped and there will be no record of the date you entered the UK. You should therefore keep evidence of your date of entry to the UK (your flight ticket and boarding pass).   If you are an EEA or Swiss national with a digital visa status you will also need to keep evidence of your date of entry. 

If you are not eligible to use e-gates, the vignette in your passport will be date stamped by an immigration official.

Top Tips for arriving at the UK Border


Unless you have been issued with a digital status, you must collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) from the Post Office you were allocated during your visa application, within 10 days of arriving in the  UK. You will be expected to provide your BRP card for verification during your ICMP student registration, so we recommend you collect it as soon as possible, after you arrive in the UK.  

Further guidance on Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs) is available on the Home Office website.


With the London underground, buses and trains, you can make the most of exploring the area. To travel on London transport, you’ll need to purchase an Oyster Card which will allow you to use the bus and the Underground (known as the Tube).

As a full-time student, you’re entitled to a ‘Student Oyster Photocard’ which gives a 30% discount on travel cards and bus and tram passes.

More information can be found here: Travel and Transport in the UK


Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) allows you multiple entry into the UK.  You will need to ensure that you have your BRP with you every time you travel in and out of the UK.  Whilst in the UK, we recommend that you do not carry it with you all the time, in case you lose it.


As part of your Student visa application, you will have paid the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS). Once you arrive in the UK, you’ll need to register with a doctor (GP) before you can use the National Health Service.

Find out more about registering with a GP.


London is a safe place to live, but it’s always worth taking personal safety into account wherever you are.

Read our tips for staying safe.


UKVI and Action Fraud have created a guidance pack with essential information on how to prevent yourself from becoming a victim of fraud.


ICMP thrives on being a small and inclusive community, if you need help at any point during your journey to ICMP, or at any point during your studies, simply reach out to us and the appropriate team will step in to support and advise you. You can contact our team on +44 [0] 207 328 0222 or, alternatively you can use the Live Chat during UK office hours.