Our BA (Hons) Creative Musicianship degree offers a unique programme of creative exploration and development. If you’re thinking of applying to study on this course we've put together this additional guidance to help ensure that it’s the right fit for you.
Our Creative Musicianship programme offers an exciting exploration of composition, performance and production, all in a supportive and collaborative environment.
The course has been designed to develop your artistic identity and help you establish yourself as a creative music professional. Our programme is highly flexible and moulds itself around you and your artistic journey, not the other way around – essentially you define your artistic direction throughout.
We’ll ensure that you dive into a fascinating array of creative areas, and we’ll help you build the foundations of your creative career.
How do I know if this is for me?
To get the most from this programme you will fit the majority of these characteristics:
You’ll be an aspiring artist
- You may not have defined your artistic vision, but you’ll be self-sufficient in your creative process.
- Keen to explore and develop an individual artistic voice.
You’ll be a competent musician
- If you’re a vocalist, you’ll be competent on at least one supporting instrument. A secondary/supporting instrument could be the creative use of technology within your work.
- With experience writing original music and a desire to develop this further.
You’ll be driven to succeed as an artist
- With a desire to be a ‘self-contained’ creative (writing/recording/producing/managing)
- Keen to investigate broader approaches to your creative process
You’ll be open to explore all creative avenues
- Eager to collaborate on original music
- With a desire to explore how taught concepts apply to your own artistic context
- Intrigued by less ‘conventional’ routes/opportunities within the music and wider creative industries
Creative Musicianship - what you get from us...
- A safe place to explore your creativity and be pushed out of your comfort zone
- Regular collaborative projects, working with a wide range of creatives
- Guided enquiries into genres you may not have explored, in order to help you discover and enhance your own creative voice
- Support in developing your primary instrument study to enhance your artistry
- Access to a phenomenal array of equipment and facilities to fuel your exploration and creativity
Our approach to creative exploration is based around the premise of not seeking to define yourself or discounting any creative avenue.
We previously had a student join us as a metal guitarist and following continual creative exploration, they ended up leaving us as an EDM artist – breaking into the top 20 of the US Billboard Dance chart within a year of graduating.”
What if this isn’t for me?
Instrumentalists: If you are predominantly focused on a single instrument and keen to push your musicianship to the highest standards, we suggest you consider our BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance programme. This Music Performance course will see you develop your technical performance skills to the highest level, as you gain impressive academic abilities alongside an entrepreneurial understanding of the music industry.
Writers: If you are a writer with a strong identity that you’d like to nurture, we suggest you focus on your writing on our BA (Hons) Songwriting programme. Our Songwriting degree will push you to write over 100 songs through the course of your degree, it’ll also equip you with essential industry knowledge to help you establish yourself as a professional songwriter.
Producers: If your primary focus is in production, we suggest exploring our BA (Hons) Creative Music Production programme. This will also allow you to explore your creativity, but in a production-focused environment.
Need more help?
Our friendly Admissions Team are on hand to answer all of your questions and guide you to the correct course. The team can be reached on +44 (0)20 7328 0222, email@example.com or via our Live Chat during UK working hours.