The BA (Hons) Songwriting course is a practically focused, industry-aligned course designed for anyone looking to become a professional songwriter – whether as an artist (writer–performer), writer–producer or topliner.
Songs are the lifeblood of the music industry. To become a success, the modern songwriter needs to be courageous, creative, collaborative and enterprising. On the BA Songwriting degree, we’ll support you to develop each of these attributes, alongside all the academic skills you’d expect of a university music degree.
As a specialist music industry education provider, we don’t attempt to ‘teach’ you how to write songs but, instead, guide you through a structured and personalised journey that enables you to develop your own individual writing ability and creative style. Whether you're a writer–performer taking centre stage with your own artist project, a writer–producer behind the scenes in a studio, or a songwriter looking to co-write and pitch on the projects of others, we’ll support your individual journey within a collaborative setting.
Each week, you’ll explore the art and craft of contemporary songwriting, and will write at least two songs to brief which cover a range of topics, styles, genres and approaches. You’ll collaborate with other ICMP London students to develop your material and will engage in small group ‘A&R-style’ feedback and critical discussion with your songwriting tutors and talented peers, regularly critiquing each other’s works-in-progress across all three years of the degree.
Our supporting industry partners are:
Alongside generously sponsoring courses, rooms and providing equipment, our industry partners also offer ICMP songwriting degree students access to exclusive discounts, events and opportunities.
Our core aim is to nurture your creative individuality and independence as a songwriter and empower you with the knowledge, skills and understanding required to establish and maintain a songwriting career, in whatever form you choose. You’ll achieve this with the help of our impressive teaching faculty, made up of highly experienced songwriters and music producers, all of whom have active careers in both the music industry and the higher education sector.
Our songwriting course offers many opportunities for collaborative work, both within ICMP and with the wider music and creative industries, providing excellent opportunities for building your showreel and networking within the music business. Throughout all years of the course, you'll be encouraged to build your own path to a career in songwriting, with full control over how you progress your writing and develop your craft. The final year sees a research-based creative project and frequent interaction with established industry professionals, allowing students to leave ICMP ‘career-ready’.
By the time you graduate from your songwriting degree course, you’ll have a deep understanding of the discipline; an impressive creative repertoire of more than 100 songs; a grasp of the history and culture of songwriting; solid production and recording skills; and expertise in musicianship, business, entreprise and live performance. You’ll also have gained a working knowledge of the way the music industry operates, thanks to regular songwriting-specific masterclasses and events, and visits from industry specialists.
Fees & Funding
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans. Please note, students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP degrees, unlike some other UK music schools where students are required to pay additional top-up fees themselves.
Successful completion of the BA (Hons) Songwriting course leads to the award of Bachelor of Arts degree by The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance.
I love studying on the BA Songwriting course because the constructive, nurturing class environment has brought about a dynamic change in my creativity and productivity."
BA (Hons) Songwriting Degree
- Course Code: W3W8
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- Perfect for all types of songwriters, including artists, writer–producers and topliners
- A practice-based exploration of the art and craft of contemporary songwriting, with a strong focus on both production and the use of technology.
- A modern, holistic and personalised approach to songwriting which equips you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to build a career in the music and wider creative industries/music ecosystem.
- Develops your unique creative ‘voice’ through structured weekly individual and collaborative songwriting activities.
- Challenges you to write more than 100 songs using using new methods and approaches, exploring beyond your usual stylistic territory
- Professionalises your writing ability through entrepreneurial business practice, helping you to understand how the modern music industry operates.
- A high level of contact teaching hours, delivered in small groups in world-class facilities.
- The London location provides opportunities to showcase your songwriting at top city venues.
- Connections with the wider music industry enable you to build an impressive songwriting network.
- Apply Now