The BA (Hons) Songwriting course is a practically focused, industry aligned course designed for those looking to become a professional songwriter. As a specialist music industry education provider, we don’t attempt to ‘teach’ you how to write songs but, instead, guide you through a structured and personalised journey that enables you to develop your own individual writing ability and creative style.
Each week, you’ll explore the art and craft of contemporary songwriting, and will write at least two songs to brief which cover a range of topics, styles, genres and approaches. You’ll collaborate with other ICMP London students to showcase your material with a professional band and will engage in small group ‘A&R-style’ feedback and critical discussion with your songwriting tutors and talented peers, regularly critiquing each other’s works-in-progress across all three years of the degree.
Our core aim is to nurture your creative individuality and independence as a songwriter and empower you with the knowledge, skills and understanding required to establish and maintain a songwriting career, in whatever form you choose. You’ll achieve this with the help of our impressive teaching faculty, made up of highly experienced songwriters and music producers, all of whom have active careers in both the music industry and the higher education sector.
Our songwriting course offers many opportunities for collaborative work, both within ICMP and with the wider music and creative industries, providing excellent opportunities for building your showreel and networking within the music business. The final year sees a research-based dissertation and frequent interaction with established industry professionals, allowing students to leave ICMP ‘career-ready’.
By the time you graduate from your songwriting course, you’ll have a deep understanding of the discipline; an impressive creative repertoire of work; a grasp of the history and culture of songwriting; solid production and recording skills; and expertise in musicianship, business, entrepreneurship and live performance. You’ll also have gained a working knowledge of the way the music industry operates, thanks to regular songwriting-specific masterclasses and events and visits from industry specialists.
UK Students - Apply via UCASIf you’d like to study with us next September, it's still possible to apply via UCAS using Course Code: W3W8 | Institution Code: i25
UCAS Application Information
Songwriting Degree Fees & Funding
2020/21 Course Fees: £9,250 (UK & EU Students) | £11,700 (Non-EU Students)
Please visit our Fees page for information on access to Student Loans. Please note, students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP degrees, unlike many other UK music schools where students are required to pay additional top-up fees themselves.
EU Students, applying to start their course in 2020, will continue to be eligible for both home fee status and have access to student finance. This entitlement will remain in place for the duration of the course. Read more
Successful completion of the BA (Hons) Songwriting course at ICMP London leads to the award of Bachelor of Arts by the University of East London.
I love studying on the BA Songwriting course because the constructive, nurturing class environment has brought about a dynamic change in my creativity and productivity."
BA (Hons) Songwriting Degree
- Course Code: W3W8
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- A practice-based exploration of the art and craft of contemporary songwriting.
- A personalised learning experience which equips you with the knowledge, understanding and skills to build a career in the music industry
- Develops your unique creative ‘voice’ through structured weekly individual and collaborative songwriting activities.
- Challenges you to write songs using new methods and approaches, exploring beyond your usual stylistic territory
- Professionalises your writing ability through entrepreneurial business practice, helping you to understand how the modern music industry operates.
- A high level of contact teaching hours, delivered in small groups in world-class facilities.
- The London location provides opportunities to showcase your songwriting at top London venues.
- Connections with the wider music industry enable you to build an impressive songwriting network.