If your goal in life is to become a unique, creative, versatile and confident performer, this two-day intensive course is just what you need. Learn how to entertain the crowd with top-notch vocals while developing an authentic stage presence.
LEARN FROM THE EXPERTS
ICMP vocal tutor, Katie Birtill, has been a professional singer for over ten years and is an expert at teaching pop and musical theatre technique, solo singing, session singing, backing vocals and performance. She uses a variety of teaching styles, combining technical models like Estill Voice Training and Bel Canto with imagery and holistic approaches to the voice. She has collaborated with musicians and bands, such as Oi Va Voi and Latimo, writing and performing original songs with them, as well as for her solo EP, ‘Fragments’. Katie is passionate about helping you unlock your voice so you can grow in confidence and reach your full potential.
Xantoné Blacq is a vocalist, multi-instrumentalist and producer with many years of experience in fusing jazz-funk, soul, afro and latin music. He toured with Amy Winehouse’s band for three years and has worked with other esteemed musicians, including Nigel Kennedy, Mark Ronson, Candi Staton, Jessie J and Dionne Bromfield. He has performed at Glastonbury, the Isle of Wight Festival, Lollapalooza and on stage at the BRIT Awards and MTV Movie Awards. Xantoné’s album ‘Revelation’ reached No. 1 on the UK Soul charts and he currently runs the record label, Platinum Fingers Music, in London.
What you can expect
Across the two days, you’ll extend your knowledge of the human voice as an instrument in both a theoretical and practical context. You’ll develop your vocal skills by exploring a range of styles, techniques and genres in small groups with other vocalists.
Performing as a lead solo singer, you’ll learn tactics to embellish your performances, work on your stage presence, gain more confidence on stage and help overcome performance anxiety. Across the weekend you’ll take a deeper look at who you are as a vocalist with the aim of discovering your own sound.
Over the weekend with Katie you'll:
- Gain confidence and learn how to overcome stage fright
- Perform pop music, focusing on the meaning behind the lyrics
- Expand your vocal range and pitch precision
- Work on your register break
- Learn how to sustain longer notes
- Embellish your songs with stylistic vocal technique
- Learn harmony and blending in an ensemble
- Build a wider repertoire in different genres
What your days will look like
Your timetable for the Vocal Weekend Workshop will run as follows:
- 10:00am: Induction, plus warm-up and exercises. Here you’ll learn how to not just sing a song but perform it. You’ll cover song interpretation, dramatisation of the lyrics and how to carry the content, plus phrasing, technique, sound control, support, tone and clarity.
- 12:00pm: Lunch
- 1:00pm -4:00pm: Stage presence workshop with Xantoné Blacq, including mic technique workshop and Q&A session.
- 10:00am: You’ll perform your individual songs, with feedback and performance tips from Katie.
- 12:00pm: Lunch
- 1:00pm -4:00pm: Band workshop with session musicians where you can try out songs in a real band environment. You’ll learn how to gel as part of a team and communicate effectively with band members.
Course dates: Next date TBC
Times: 10am to 4pm at our campus in Kilburn, London.
How to book: The course costs just £249 and is limited to only ten students to ensure a personal atmosphere. Book now to secure your space.
Should you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us on 020 7328 0222 or email@example.com
- Duration: Weekend - 6 hours per day including break
- Location: ICMP London, Kilburn
- Date: TBC
- Time: 10am – 4pm
- Cost: £249