The CertHE Songwriting is a practical real-world course designed for those looking to begin their career as a professional songwriter. Across one-year of learning, we guide you through a fun and personalised journey where you’ll explore the world of songwriting while building your repertoire and experimenting with your own individual writing style.
Every week, you’ll study the craft of modern songwriting, and will write at least two songs to brief across a variety of subjects, genres, styles and approaches. You’ll regularly team up with other ICMP students to perform your work and will take part in critical discussion and ‘A&R-style’ feedback in small groups consisting of both your peers and our professional songwriting tutors. Constant writing and collaboration across the course of the year will see you quickly build your showreel and really broaden your songwriting influences.
We aim to provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to establish a songwriting career, while we foster your individuality and creativity. You’ll receive personalised professional advice from our expert tutors, who are all hugely successful songwriters and producers with active careers in the music industry and music education sector.
Upon completion of the course, you’ll have gained a solid foundation of songwriting knowledge and practice, including an understanding of the history and culture of songwriting, experience in live performance, impressive production and recording skills and a firm idea of how the music business operates.
I really enjoyed my time at ICMP and all the amazing classes and opportunities to collaborate and network with other musicians and industry professionals, both in-person and online. It has really changed my life, setting me on my musical path. I am extremely grateful for the knowledge and experience I have gained and the progress I have made!” – Jasmina, CertHE Songwriting student
September 2021: What you can expect...
In September 2021, we will be returning to a primarily onsite, face-to-face learning experience. All subjects and classes that are best suited to face-to-face delivery – such as performance activity, studio classes and other practical workshops – will be timetabled into the appropriate teaching spaces at our campuses. All of these sessions will be socially-distanced and properly ventilated. In order to facilitate socially-distanced learning, we have reduced our group sizes to a maximum of 13 and, because of the consequent need to run more sessions, some learning activity will take place online. We have listened to student feedback and only planned online delivery for those subjects and classes that work well in this mode, such as lectures and discussion seminars. This blend of onsite and online education will ensure we can facilitate the highest quality of learning and teaching, whilst ensuring the ongoing safety of all students and staff.
FEES & FUNDING
Studying music at ICMP in London is great value, as well as great fun, with fees for our music courses the same as those at many traditional universities.
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans, students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP programmes.
Successful completion of programme Cert HE Songwriting at ICMP leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by the University of East London.
Redesigned for 2021
Please note, this page contains a description of the course as currently delivered, and aspects will change before the start of the 2021 academic year. The course has recently gone through a redesign process with our validating partner UEL. Please visit https://www.icmp.ac.uk/study-at-icmp/2021-course-redesign for further detail on why we periodically redesign our courses and the benefits this has to you as an ICMP student. The information on this page will be updated in due course to reflect the changes that have occurred, all students and applicants will be notified of these changes.
- Course Code: WW38
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- September 2021: Your learning experience will be primarily onsite, with some non-practical classes taking place online.
- A practical exploration of the craft of contemporary songwriting.
- Equips you with a solid foundation and the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to build a successful career in songwriting.
- Develops your unique creative ‘voice’ through structured weekly songwriting activities.
- Challenges you to write songs using new methods and approaches, exploring beyond your usual stylistic territory.
- Professionalises your writing ability through entrepreneurial business practice, helping you to understand how the modern music business operates.
- High-quality teaching in an inspiring learning environment by songwriting and production experts.
- A high level of contact teaching hours, delivered in small groups in world-class facilities.
- The London location sees you showcase your songwriting skills at top London events, such as Songwriters’ Circle, while immersing yourself in the global music scene.
- Global songwriting opportunities in Nashville, California, Malmö and Paris make for a truly international course.