Whichever way you look at it, without songs, there is no music industry. This concept is central to our belief at ICMP, so you’ll always see us treating the role of the songwriter with the significance it so rightly deserves.
A homage to the fundamentals of the art and craft of songwriting, the CertHE Songwriting is a practical one-year industry-aligned course. With guidance from some of the music industry’s top songwriting tutors, you’ll develop your songwriting identity, while learning vital industry skills as you produce and perform your own original creative work.
At ICMP, we support and guide our songwriters using the principles of focused teaching – ensuring that theory and knowledge underpin constant hands-on practice and experience. Across your year of learning, you’ll cover six essential modules, each introducing you to a real-world aspect of songwriting and production. You'll have practical opportunities to plan live or online gigs, explore music technology in industry-standard studios, make music videos, and master a range of vocal techniques and instruments.
You’ll examine the art and craft of modern songwriting, and each week will write at least two songs to brief that cover a variety of styles, genres, topics and approaches. Throughout the programme, you’ll collaborate with your fellow songwriting students to nurture your material, engaging in ‘A&R-style’ feedback and analytical discussion in small groups with your songwriting tutors and peers as you regularly appraise each other’s works in progress.
Your expert ICMP tutors – all highly experienced industry professionals – will organise regular A&R-style workshops to help you evolve your writing style. They’ll encourage you to explore your musical passions in an inclusive and diverse learning environment while you refine your creative portfolio week on week. You’ll delve into all aspects of the music business – specifically from the perspective of a songwriter – as you study the intricacies of music publishing, recorded music, live music and more.
A comprehensive course focused on the specific needs of songwriters and artists, the CertHE Songwriting also offers direct pathways to ICMP bachelors degrees in songwriting, creative musicianship, creative music production and music production for film, TV and games.
Upon completion of the course, you'll have the enviable technical skills and creative know-how to bring your songs to life, as you either move on to further innovative music study at ICMP or take your exciting first steps into a remarkable portfolio career in songwriting.
I really enjoyed my time at ICMP and all the amazing classes and opportunities to collaborate and network with other musicians and industry professionals, both in-person and online. It has really changed my life, setting me on my musical path. I am extremely grateful for the knowledge and experience I have gained and the progress I have made!” – Jasmina, CertHE Songwriting student
FEES & FUNDING
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans. UK students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP programmes.
Successful completion of the CertHE in Songwriting course leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance.
- Course Code: WW38
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- One-year foundation course for emerging songwriters and artists, with a real-world focus on the music and wider creative industries and our current music ecosystem .
- Explore contemporary songwriting across a wide range of styles and genres.
- Equip yourself with critical thinking skills and practical songwriting experience.
- Develop your fundamental understanding of songcraft while providing extensive hands-on practice.
- Advance your writing and production using modern technology such as phones, laptops and DAWs.
- Build your understanding of today’s music industry and the role of songwriters.
- Follow your passions with this tailored course, delivered by diverse music industry tutors.
- Connect with a large network of songwriting peers, ICMP students and industry contacts.
- Learn in London in modern teaching spaces and cutting-edge music studios.
- Apply Now