The CertHE Songwriting is a practical real-world course designed for those looking to begin their career as a professional songwriter. Across one-year of learning, we guide you through a fun and personalised journey where you’ll explore the world of songwriting while building your repertoire and experimenting with your own individual writing style.
Every week, you’ll study the craft of modern songwriting, and will write at least two songs to brief across a variety of subjects, genres, styles and approaches. You’ll regularly team up with other ICMP students to perform your work and will take part in critical discussion and ‘A&R-style’ feedback in small groups consisting of both your peers and our professional songwriting tutors. Constant writing and collaboration across the course of the year will see you quickly build your showreel and really broaden your songwriting influences.
We aim to provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to establish a songwriting career, while we foster your individuality and creativity. You’ll receive personalised professional advice from our expert tutors, who are all hugely successful songwriters and producers with active careers in the music industry and music education sector.
Upon completion of the course, you’ll have gained a solid foundation of songwriting knowledge and practice, including an understanding of the history and culture of songwriting, experience in live performance, impressive production and recording skills and a firm idea of how the music business operates.
UK Students - Apply via UCASIf you’d like to study with us next September, then you’ll need to start thinking about submitting your UCAS application. The deadline for degree applications is 6pm, Wednesday 15th January 2020. UCAS codes for this programme are: Course Code: WW38 | Institution Code: i25
UCAS Application Information
FEES & FUNDING
Studying music at ICMP in London is great value, as well as great fun, with fees for our music courses significantly less than those at many traditional universities and other UK music education providers.
2020/21 Course Fees: £9,250 (UK & EU Students) | £11,700 (Non-EU Students)
Please visit our Fees page for information on access to Student Loans. UK and EU students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP programmes, unlike many other UK music schools where students are required to pay additional top-up fees themselves.
EU Students, applying to start their course in 2020, will continue to be eligible for both home fee status and have access to student finance. This entitlement will remain in place for the duration of the course. Read more
Successful completion of programme Cert HE Songwriting at ICMP leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by the University of East London.
- Course Code: WW38
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- A practical exploration of the craft of contemporary songwriting.
- Equips you with a solid foundation and the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to build a successful career in songwriting.
- Develops your unique creative ‘voice’ through structured weekly songwriting activities.
- Challenges you to write songs using new methods and approaches, exploring beyond your usual stylistic territory.
- Professionalises your writing ability through entrepreneurial business practice, helping you to understand how the modern music business operates.
- High-quality teaching in an inspiring learning environment by songwriting and production experts.
- A high level of contact teaching hours, delivered in small groups in world-class facilities.
- The London location sees you showcase your songwriting skills at top London events, such as Songwriters’ Circle, while immersing yourself in the global music scene.
- Global songwriting opportunities in Nashville, California, Malmö and Paris make for a truly international course.