If you’re looking to establish yourself as a composer or producer of music for the moving image, then this highly relevant and progressive course is just for you. Set against the backdrop of the booming film, television and games industries, you’ll explore audio composition and production requirements within all three media spheres. As you progress across the three years of your course, you’ll develop the technical and creative skills you need to create and produce high-quality music content for the broadcast media world.
This highly practical course will see you confidently grasp the spectrum of studio production techniques including recording, signal processing, audio editing, post-production skills, and multichannel mixing and mastering.
You’ll delve into theoretical areas of production, including musical language, composition and arrangement, while exploring those concepts in practice across film scoring, composition design for games, spatial 3D audio, Dolby Atmos, and Virtual and Augmented Reality sound design.
There will be plenty of opportunity to develop your creative side, with subjects such as sampling and synthesis, and ongoing chances to participate in the worlds of foley and SFX.
Lessons take place in ICMP’s state-of-the-art Mac labs, impressive industry-standard recording studios, and teaching spaces solidly equipped with high-quality production kit, including instruments, PAs, microphones, controllers, vocal processors, loop stations, effects pedals and more. Our latest addition to our suite of inhouse studios, features the Avid S6 desk, a specialist desk for post-production and sound and music for film, tv and game. Other rooms are equipped with Audient's 5.1 expansion pack, which powers a complete 5.1 monitoring system from Genelec. All facilities can be booked for personal use outside of class hours, free of charge, seven days a week.
The course is highly collaborative, with regular chances to make music with your fellow music production students, or even those across other ICMP programmes. You’ll focus heavily on learning the realities of the music business and wider creative industries, and music entrepreneurship is a major emphasis. Real-world music events are frequent and include masterclasses, guest lectures, gigs, songwriter’s circles, careers days, industry conferences and more.
In your final year, you’ll have the opportunity to choose an area of music production for film, TV and/or games to focus in on, creating a professional production project such as a film soundtrack, audio for a video game, or sound for a TV episode or ad. The project will see you undertaking significant research across your area of expertise and delivering your creative work to a very high production standard. You’ll graduate with the background knowledge, technical skills, creative vision and entrepreneurial spirit to embrace a successful career in the world of film, television and video games audio.
This course will prepare you for a career in the film, TV or games industries in roles such as composer, sound designer, producer, foley artist, supervising sound editor, audio games designer or dubbing mixer.
Fees & Funding
Taking a music production degree course at ICMP makes financial sense too, with the fees for ICMP music degrees the same as those at many traditional universities - making studying music at ICMP in London great value as well as great fun.
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans.
This course is subject to validation. For quality assurance and enhancement purposes, our courses go through a rigorous approval stage, known as validation. Validation is not guaranteed and should the course be significantly amended we will contact you and provide assistance to find a suitable alternative.
Subject to validation, successful completion of the BA (Hons) Music Production for Film, TV and Games at ICMP will lead to the award of Bachelor of Arts by the University of East London.
- Course Code: W102
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- Career-focused course designed to make you business-ready as a composer, music producer or sound designer in the film, television or games industries.
- Taught in a professional music production environment using high-tech industry-standard facilities.
- Develops your practical music production skills, giving you a strong working knowledge of Pro Tools and Logic Pro.
- Explores contemporary film, TV and games industry concepts, including spatial 3D, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, Dolby Atmos and Ambisonics audio.
- Opportunity to assist in recording sessions at ICMP’s in-house studio.
- Fosters your creative skills through regular collaboration with fellow student artists from ICMP’s rich artist pool.
- Acquire entrepreneurial, business and networking skills and learn how to market and promote your music.
- The London location provides opportunities to showcase your production talents at top London events while immersing yourself in the global music scene.
- Connections with the wider London music industry enables you to build an impressive musical network.