If you’re interested in learning to compose and produce music for the always growing and ever-successful television, film and games industries, this hands-on course is the one for you.
Whether you have a particular passion for games, TV or film – or all three – you’ll discover their production and audio composition requirements on this certificate of higher education (CertHE) course. With a career producing or composing music for the moving image in your sights, you’ll gain the necessary creative and technical skills to develop engaging music and sound of professional quality.
This progressive one-year course will equip you with the key techniques of studio production, such as multichannel mixing, digital recording, audio editing, signal processing and post-production skills.
Covering the foundations of production theory, the course takes you through composition, arrangement and musical language. You’ll put what you learn into practice, confidently exercising your creativity across composition design for the moving image.
On campus at ICMP, you’ll study in our cutting-edge Mac labs, state-of-the-art recording studios, and teaching spaces, all of which are fitted out with the highest quality production kit. Professional-standard instruments, controllers, effects pedals, vocal processors, loop stations, PAs and microphones are all at your disposal.
You’ll even have the opportunity to use the Avid S6 desk, which features in the newest of our impressive set of in-house studios. This revolutionary desk is ideal for mixing music and sound for games, TV and film.
In other ICMP studios, you’ll have further opportunity to use industry-standard tools such as the Audient 5.1 expansion pack, which drives Genelec’s comprehensive 5.1 surround system.
You won’t be limited to using these during class time either – you can book all ICMP’s facilities free of charge, seven days a week, for your own use outside of timetabled hours.
The Music Production for Film, TV and Games CertHE course encourages you to collaborate with other students studying music production, and across other programmes too. The music and wider creative industries are brought into focus, exposing you to the realities of revenue streams, networking and entrepreneurship, among other key topics. Regular events, such as guest lectures, gigs, masterclasses, careers days, songwriting circles and industry conferences further solidify your learning, preparing you for a career in the world of video games, film and television audio.
You'll complete the course with a sound foundation in composing and producing music for the film, TV and games industries, allowing you to explore employment options as a sound designer, composer, producer, sound editor, foley artist, dubbing mixer or audio games designer. Completion of the programme gives you the opportunity to continue your studies in the second year of the BA (Hons) Music Production for Film, TV and Games degree programme.
FEES & FUNDING
Studying music at ICMP in London is great value, as well as great fun, with fees for our music courses the same as those at many traditional universities.
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans. Students eligible for loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP programmes.
Successful completion of programme Cert HE Music Production for Film, TV and Games at ICMP leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by the University of East London.
- Course Code: CHFG
- Institution Code: i25
- One-year course with the opportunity to enter a BA programme in the second year.
- Focused on readying you to enter the music industry as a music producer, sound designer or composer in the games, television or film industries.
- Taught using the highest quality, professional equipment and facilities.
- Helps you grow your skills as a music producer, with a good working knowledge of Logic Pro and Pro Tools.
- Allows you to explore modern TV, games and film industry concepts, including Virtual Reality, spatial 3D, Dolby Atmos, Ambisonics audio and Augmented Reality.
- Offers the chance to gain experience helping out with in-house recording sessions at ICMP.
- Builds your creative skills as you work alongside other talented ICMP student artists.
- Assists you in developing business, networking and entrepreneurial know-how, so you can promote your work in future.
- Ideally located in central London, allowing you to involve yourself in the music scene and display your talents at various local events.
- ICMP’s links with the broader music industry in London helps you create an enviable musical network.