If you’re keen to compose and produce music for the thriving television, film and games industries, this specialist hands-on one-year course will provide you with a thorough overview.
Whether you have a particular passion for games, TV or film – or all three – you’ll discover a variety of production and audio composition opportunities on this one-year CertHE programme. With a focus on real-world briefs and weekly tasks drawn directly from industry, you’ll gain the necessary creative and technical skills to develop engaging music and sound of professional quality.
Working with the very best music technology and software, this progressive course will teach you key production techniques such as programming, sampling, synthesis and using plugins.
Covering the foundations of both production and theory, the course takes you through composition, arrangement and musical language. You’ll put what you learn into practice, confidently exercising your creativity across composition design for a variety of media, such as TV series and documentaries, TV commercials, games, film trailers and more. The course provides an impressive overview of the music and wider creative industries, exposing you to the realities of revenue streams, networking, rights, royalties, distribution and entrepreneurship, among many other key topics – all from the point of view of the composer–producer.
On campus at ICMP, you’ll study in our cutting-edge Mac labs and teaching spaces, all of which are fitted out with the highest quality production kit. Professional-standard instruments, controllers, effects units, vocal processors, loop stations, PAs and microphones are all at your disposal.
You won’t be limited to using our equipment during class time either – you can book all ICMP’s facilities free of charge, seven days a week for use outside of timetabled hours. Collaboration with music production students and those from other ICMP programmes is highly encouraged, too. You’ll further solidify your learning with regular ICMP events, such as guest lectures, gigs, masterclasses, careers days, songwriting circles and industry conferences.
Upon completion of the CertHE Music Production for Film, TV and Games, you’ll have developed a professional standard of technical expertise in production and composing – enough to begin a career as a sound designer, composer or producer. If you decide to progress to further study, the CertHE offers direct pathways to ICMP’s bachelors degrees in music production for film, TV and games, creative musicianship, creative music production and audio engineering and production.
FEES & FUNDING
Studying music at ICMP in London is great value, as well as great fun, with fees for our music courses the same as those at many traditional universities.
Course Fees: UK Students
Student Finance: Please visit our Fees page for information on accessing to Student Loans. UK students eligible for Loans are able to borrow the full course fee.
Click to view the full terms and conditions of applying to study at ICMP.
Successful completion of the CertHE Music Production for Film, TV and Games course leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by The Institute of Contemporary Music Performance.
Experience ICMP in-person with our
Open Day in London
Featuring information about this course, the many benefits of studying here, tour our facilities and much more.
You can also join our online event or book a personalised tour.
- Course Code: CHFG
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- A highly practical one-year course with the opportunity to enter the second year of a BA programme.
- Prepare for a career in the music industry as a music producer, sound designer or composer in the games, television or film industries.
- Grow your skills as a music producer as you evolve your own unique sound.
- Gain a strong working knowledge of digital audio workstations (DAWs) and a range of industry-standard plugins.
- Explore modern TV, games and film industry concepts.
- Engage in weekly real-world tasks, projects and industry briefs.
- Connect to a wide network of London music industry contacts, ICMP student artists and composer–producer peers.
- Access ICMP’s professional in-house studios and production facilities outside of class hours.
- Gain a thorough understanding of how the music industry works within the specific context of film, TV and games, and use it to promote your work in the future.
- Apply Now