If you’re keen to launch a professional recording studio career as an audio engineer or music producer, this course teaches you everything you need to know to an advanced level. You’ll become competent at using the latest specialist studio equipment and technology, and will be confident working with musicians and artists to produce the highest quality recordings across a range of recording studio environments.
Despite being highly practical, this course isn’t afraid to explore the more theoretical concepts of audio engineering and music production, such as musical language, acoustics and psychoacoustics. These notions are used as a base to explain the more functional areas of the industry, including studio design, audio signal analysis and processing, microphone technology and application, live sound reinforcement and capture, and modular synthesis.
Spending plenty of time in ICMP’s cutting-edge recording studios over the three years of your course, you’ll become an advanced post-production professional, studying elements including ambisonics, binaural recording, spacial and multichannel mixing, ADR and dialogue audio editing, and Dolby Atmos.
Lessons take place in ICMP’s state-of-the-art recording studio facilities and Mac labs, and all teaching spaces and rehearsal rooms are equipped with high-quality production equipment. Gear includes top-of-the-range instruments, microphones, controllers, PAs, loop stations, vocal processors, effects pedals and more. Facilities can be booked outside of class hours for personal use, free of charge, seven days a week.
The course is highly collaborative, with regular chances to make music with your audio engineering and music production peers, or even those across other ICMP programmes. You’ll participate in real-world music events across all three years of your course, including masterclasses, gigs, songwriters’ circles, guest lectures, industry conferences, careers days and more.
In your final year, you’ll have the opportunity to choose an area of your course to explore in more detail, creating a professional production project such as an EP, creative collaboration or live performance piece harnessing your audio engineering and music production skills. You’ll graduate with the theoretical knowledge, music business know-how, creative drive and a whole host of advanced technical skills to successfully launch a career in audio engineering or music production.
This course will prepare you for a professional recording studio career in roles such as audio engineer, music producer, mastering engineer, mixing engineer, recording engineer and more.
Fees & Funding
Taking a music production degree course at ICMP makes financial sense too, with the fees for ICMP music degrees the same as those at many traditional universities - making studying music at ICMP in London great value as well as great fun.
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans. Students eligible for loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP degrees.
Successful completion of the BA (Hons) Audio Engineering and Production at ICMP will lead to the award of Bachelor of Arts by the University of East London.
Redesigned for 2021
Please note, this page contains a description of the course as currently delivered, and aspects will change before the start of the 2021 academic year. The course has recently gone through a redesign process with our validating partner UEL. Please visit https://www.icmp.ac.uk/study-at-icmp/2021-course-redesign for further detail on why we periodically redesign our courses and the benefits this has to you as an ICMP student. The information on this page will be updated in due course to reflect the changes that have occurred, all students and applicants will be notified of these changes.
- Course Code: W101
- Institution Code: i25
- View course on UCAS
- September 2021: Your learning experience will be primarily onsite, with some non-practical classes taking place online.
- Career-focused course designed to make you industry-ready for a career as an audio engineer or music producer.
- Taught in a professional music production environment using high-tech industry-standard facilities.
- Equips you with advanced technical skills so you can work confidently in a professional recording studio environment.
- Opportunity to assist in recording sessions at ICMP’s in-house studio.
- Fosters your creative skills through regular collaboration with fellow student artists from ICMP’s rich artist pool.
- Acquire entrepreneurial, business and networking skills, and learn how to market and promote your music.
- The London location provides opportunities to showcase your production talents at top London events while immersing yourself in the global music scene.
- Connections with the wider London music industry enables you to build an impressive musical network.
- Face-to-Face Tour