At ICMP we understand that starting university can be both exciting and terrifying. You can be expected to make lots of changes such as moving away from home, meeting new people, getting used to new environments and new ways of doing things. This can be tough.
In addition to this, we are having to make big changes to adapt to the new environment with Covid-19 including accessing teaching and learning online and using new procedures when we are required to come into buildings. To help make things easier we have organised an online event on September 10th 2020 where you will be able to:
- Find out where things are and how things work in our building including the measures necessary because of Covid-19.
- Meet your Programme Leader.
- Meet the teams at ICMP.
- Find out more about accessing Kilburn High Road during the pandemic and let us guide you to the safe places that are useful, interesting and quiet.
- Meet other students on the Autism Spectrum who are already studying at ICMP, have completed their courses successfully at ICMP or who are starting at ICMP and who may feel the same as you.
- Meet Nadia, the Specialist Mentor for Students on the Autism Spectrum and find out what mentoring is and what other support is available at ICMP.
- Ask questions about all of these.
Who is the Transition Day for? The day is aimed especially at students who have told us they are on the autism spectrum. Both students and parents or carers are welcome to attend.
Do I have to talk to anyone? No! We understand that not everyone is comfortable talking to new people or making small talk. If you would like to come to the transition day but not speak, only speak to certain people or at certain times, that is ok. Zoom is great for this and you can be in the meeting without video and send questions using the chat function. Everyone will be given the opportunity to contribute in a way that is comfortable for them.
Can I bring a supporter with me? Yes – please let us know if you are bringing someone with you. We plan to run part of the day as a separate session for parents and carers, so they will get some useful information from the day too.
Who will be at the Transition Online Event? The Transition Day will be run by Nadia Drews who ICMP’s Specialist Mentor for students on the Autism Spectrum.