The one-year CertHE Audio Engineering and Production course will equip you with the essential skills to begin a career as an audio engineer, music producer or podcast engineer in a professional recording studio.
Working in ICMP’s cutting-edge studios and Mac labs, and using our impressive selection of up-to-date industry-standard equipment, this highly technical course will build your confidence as well as your skillset.
While you’ll receive a strong introduction to recording studio techniques, you’ll also explore more conceptual topics, such as the theory of music production and audio engineering, as you drill down into acoustics, psychoacoustics and musical language. These ideas underpin more operative aspects of the industry, such as audio signal processing, mixing techniques, digital audio workstation (DAW) use, studio design, modular synthesis, live sound reinforcement and capture, and microphone technology and application.
Getting hands on with our production equipment, you’ll come to understand audio engineering fundamentals such as spacial and multichannel mixing, ambisonics, binaural recording, ADR and dialogue audio editing.
All our teaching spaces and rehearsal rooms are equipped with exceptional gear, including the very best instruments, controllers, PAs, microphones, vocal processors, effects pedals, loop stations and more. As an ICMP student, you can book to use these without charge, seven days a week, outside of class hours.
Each of your lessons will be directed by our expert ICMP tutors – highly experienced industry professionals, ready to guide you with practical skills and advice. They’ll provide you with extensive insight into the modern music industry and the business and entrepreneurial side of engineering and producing, too.
As an in-demand audio engineering student at ICMP, you’ll benefit from frequent opportunities to collaborate with fellow audio engineering students, as well as musicians, songwriters, music producers and film score students from other ICMP courses. You’ll also have access to our renowned calendar of music events, including gigs, masterclasses, guest lectures, songwriting circles, careers days, industry conferences and more.
With newly honed musical instincts, industry-standard technical skills and robust theoretical understanding, you’ll graduate ready to take on any number of professional recording roles. Or if you choose to further progress your studies, successful completion of the CertHE Audio Engineering and Production will give you direct access to the second year of ICMP’s BA (Hons) Audio Engineering and Production programme.
September 2021: What you can expect...
In September 2021, we will be returning to a primarily onsite, face-to-face learning experience. All subjects and classes that are best suited to face-to-face delivery – such as performance activity, studio classes and other practical workshops – will be timetabled into the appropriate teaching spaces at our campuses. All of these sessions will be socially-distanced and properly ventilated. In order to facilitate socially-distanced learning, we have reduced our group sizes to a maximum of 13 and, because of the consequent need to run more sessions, some learning activity will take place online. We have listened to student feedback and only planned online delivery for those subjects and classes that work well in this mode, such as lectures and discussion seminars. This blend of onsite and online education will ensure we can facilitate the highest quality of learning and teaching, whilst ensuring the ongoing safety of all students and staff.
FEES & FUNDING
Studying music at ICMP in London is great value, as well as great fun, with fees for our music courses the same as those at many traditional universities.
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans, students eligible for loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP programmes.
Successful completion of programme Cert HE Audio Engineering and Production at ICMP leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by the University of East London.
Redesigned for 2021
This course has recently gone through a redesign process with our validating partner UEL, making it one of the most current Audio Engineering courses in the UK. Please visit https://www.icmp.ac.uk/study-at-icmp/2021-course-redesign for further detail on why we periodically redesign our courses and the benefits this has to you as an ICMP student.
- Course Code: CHEP
- Institution Code: i25
- September 2021: Your learning experience will be primarily onsite, with some non-practical classes taking place online.
- Industry-focused one-year course for emerging audio engineers, music producers and podcast engineers.
- Opportunity for direct second-year entry to ICMP’s BA (Hons) Audio Engineering and Production and BA (Hons) Creative Music Production degree programmes.
- Learn to work confidently in a range of studio environments – from professional studios to your own ‘home studio’ set up.
- Develop professional skills in production, engineering, recording and post-production.
- Operate in a professional music production environment using world-class industry-standard equipment and facilities.
- Build your understanding and knowledge of the modern music industry.
- Opportunities to assist and collaborate in recording sessions using ICMP’s impressive in-house studios.
- Develop your professional network across ICMP’s talented student and alumni communities.
- Acquire business, entrepreneurial and networking skills, learning how to promote your own portfolio career.
- Connect with global music scene professionals at events and masterclasses.
- Contact with the London music business makes it easy to build a notable network of industry professionals.