Songwriting is an invaluable craft that sits at the center of the music industry. In this course, you will break down the craft behind songwriting and learn techniques and skills aimed at developing you as a writer. Together with your songwriting tutor you will analyze popular songs and try out some creative writing techniques. Each week you will look deeper at a different area of songwriting such as song structure, harmony & melody writing, lyric writing, genre conventions, artistic identity and creative practices.
In addition to your lessons, you will receive weekly songwriting briefs and writing tasks, present your original material and receive feedback and guidance from the class. By completing this experience, you will:
- Develop an understanding for song structure
- Deepen your awareness of Harmony
- Strengthen your music and melody writing skills
- Write more meaningful lyrics
- Expand your repertoire of original songs
Songwriting Briefs Weekly tasks to get your creative juices flowing and put into practice that week’s songwriting tricks.
Writing Activities Creative writing and composition activities during lessons so you can work on developing material for later right there in the class room.
Collaboration Network and create with your peers, with structure co-writing sessions.
Lesson Resources Receive the information and slides form the tutor along with handouts to review later.
Songwriters Circle Present your material in a songwriter's circle style workshop with your tutors and peers every week in class.
Get hands-on with Your Songs
We understand the most important part of songwriting, is practicing the process with our own material. That is how we get better at the craft. On this course you will be encouraged to bring your fresh material and play it to your class. You will receive practical feedback from your peers and advice on how you can move the song forward. So you can walk away, each lesson with a mission to take your song to the next stage and perform it the following week.
- Start dates:
- Tuesday 19th September 2023
- Tuesday 7th November 2023
See course terms & conditions
“Really enjoyed the songwriting course, really informative. And the environment was heartwarming, nice people both from the staff and students.”
Is this course for me?
The Introduction to Songwriting Course is a great course to set the foundations songwriting. Because Songwriting is a long journey, you can successfully engage with this course as a beginner with no previous musical experience, or as a songwriter who has written before and wants to know what to do next. This course is perfect for you if:
- You have always been interested in songwriting and learning how to become a writer/poet/songwriter
- You can sing and play an instrument
- You want to meet other creative musicians
- You have never written a song before but want to give it a try
- You yearn for a skillset that can be a form of self expression
- You are a songwriter who feels a little stuck at the moment
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Location: ICMP London, Kilburn
- Day/Time: Tuesday evenings 7- 9pm.
- £199.00 (includes student materials pack, supporting audio and course tuition)
- Next start date: Tuesday 19th September 2023