This one-year CertHE course equips you with the foundation skills to begin working in a professional recording studio as a music producer or audio engineer.
Through the use of key theoretical concepts, cutting-edge specialist technology and studio equipment, this course will build up your confidence as well as your skillset. You’ll move a step closer towards your music production ambition of working with artists to produce outstanding recordings in professional studio environments.
Though the course is highly practical in nature, you’ll explore the theory of music production and audio engineering, drilling down into acoustics, psychoacoustics and musical language. These concepts underpin more operative aspects of the industry, including audio signal processing, mixing techniques, digital audio workstations, studio design, and microphone technology and application.
You’ll become familiar with ICMP’s industry-standard recording studios and Mac labs during your year of study. Using our top-of-the-range production equipment and kit, you’ll come to understand fundamentals such as spacial and multichannel mixing, ambisonics, binaural recording, Dolby Atmos and ADR and dialogue audio editing.
All teaching spaces and rehearsal rooms are equally equipped with exceptional gear, including the very best instruments, controllers, PAs, microphones, vocal processors, effects pedals, loop stations and more. You can book to use these without charge, seven days a week, outside of class hours.
Collaboration is integral to this course, and you’ll benefit from frequent opportunities to create with fellow students studying this programme, and across other disciplines too. In addition, ICMP’s renowned calendar of real-life events is available to you, including gigs, masterclasses, guest lectures, songwriting circles, careers days, industry conferences and more.
You’ll complete this course with a strong foundation in audio engineering and production, readying you to investigate employment options in professional recording studios. Completing the course will also give you the opportunity to continue your studies in the second year of the BA (Hons) Audio Engineering and Production programme.
FEES & FUNDING
Studying music at ICMP in London is great value, as well as great fun, with fees for our music courses the same as those at many traditional universities.
Please visit our Fees pages for information on access to Student Loans, students eligible for loans are able to borrow the full course fee for ICMP programmes.
Successful completion of programme Cert HE Audio Engineering and Production at ICMP leads to the award of Certificate of Higher Education by the University of East London.
- Course Code: CHEP
- Institution Code: i25
- One-year course with the opportunity to enter a BA programme in the second year.
- Employment-focused to progress you towards a career as an audio engineer or music producer in the music industry.
- Learn in a professional music production environment using world-class industry-standard equipment and facilities.
- Teaches advanced technical skills so you’ll be confident operating in professional recording studios.
- Opportunities to help at ICMP’s in-house studios across recording sessions.
- Regular creative collaboration with fellow student musicians from ICMP’s impressive talent pool.
- Acquire business, entrepreneurial and networking skills, learning how to promote and market your music.
- London setting presents chances to embrace the music scene and show your music production talents at top global music events.
- Contact with the London music business makes it easy to build a notable network of industry professionals.