Thank you to all our current and future students for your support and engagement during these challenging times. It has never been clearer to me that what we do is a collective endeavour, and the constructive feedback and outstanding attitude shown by all of our students and staff during recent months has been a source of both reassurance and guidance for the future. At ICMP, we have been helping talented and creative individuals launch their careers in the music and wider creative industries for over 30 years now, and we’re really looking forward to continuing to support you into the future.
It’s been clear to us from the beginning of this pandemic how developing a flexible, progressive and high-quality approach to providing our courses from September is vital. Our highest priority is the health, safety and wellbeing of our students, staff and visitors, and we’ve been working tirelessly during the lockdown period to make this happen.
We’ve allocated major resources to developing and delivering a range of platforms and programmes, such as flexible learning modes, wellbeing services and financial support initiatives, so no student is disadvantaged by the external environment we find ourselves in.
Crucially, this means you’ll be able to start or continue your course from September without disruption. This flexible approach will also allow any student unable to join us immediately, perhaps because they are travelling internationally, are in a ‘higher risk’ category or who may be anxious to travel, to start their course initially remotely, before joining us physically when they are able to. It also means that, in a worst case where the pandemic returns for a period of time, ICMP will be able to go back into lockdown easily if we are required to do so, without negatively affecting your learning experience.
To ensure we properly support our students through this period we’ve established, together with our students and staff, ten principles to support the high-quality, rewarding and enriching educational experience you’ll receive from ICMP in September 2020 and beyond.
In summary, here’s what you can expect from us:
- Health and safety – our top priority. We’re committed to maintaining the health, safety and wellbeing of students, staff, visitors and the wider community at all times.
- Meeting your expectations. We’ll provide you with value-for-money tuition and meet your educational expectations, including providing appropriate access to our facilities and equipment.
- High-quality experience. We’ll continue to invest in our teaching, learning and assessment practices to ensure a high-quality experience, committing to inclusivity and diversity, and supporting you to achieve your learning outcomes safely – regardless of any imposed external restrictions.
- Honesty and transparency. We’ll communicate our plans and intentions truthfully and openly, advising of any changes to restrictions or guidelines as soon as they occur. We’ll consider your feedback when delivering our flexible learning methods, whether face-to-face or from a distance, so teaching and learning is safe and your wellbeing is protected.
- No-one will be deprived. We’ll make sure you won’t be disadvantaged if you’re unable to meet the requirements of your course for reasons outside your control.
- A safe campus. We’ll make appropriate changes to campus layout and infrastructure in accordance with public health advice, including guidelines on social distancing.
- Enhanced cleaning and hygiene. We’ll regularly review our hygiene and cleaning protocols and adapt all spaces so they adhere to public health advice, ensuring students, staff and visitors have confidence in their safety.
- Supporting your wellbeing. We recognise the pandemic has impacted welfare and mental health and will regularly review our support to ensure we meet your needs
- Connecting with international students. We’ll develop effective processes to welcome and support international students and staff, especially during any self-isolation period.
- Community engagement. We’ll work with civic or local partners, including councils, local resilience forums and community groups, wherever appropriate.
As we approach September, please know we’re committed to providing you with an exceptional modern music education, along with the tools, connections, self-confidence and head start you need to drive your career in the music industry. And we’ll be accountable for that, too. If you have any issues, our Wellbeing and Support team will examine your situation and resolve as best we can, quickly and effectively. And if the issues can’t be resolved in a reasonable way, then we have transparent processes in place for you to seek recourse.
We know that many of you will have questions, worries and concerns, and you may feel some uncertainty in the future.
However, these times will pass, and we are ready to welcome you, support you and help you achieve your goals from September in a way that meets your personal needs. We look forward to welcoming you to ICMP and of course please don’t hesitate to contact us should you need any further information.
ICMP Chief Executive